Updated to BE 1.5

Just a small post to see if everything is still up and running, only the lightbox extenstion is having a small design issue. Apart from that everything went smooth. For those using MS SQL 2000 as backend, you can just use the upgrade script that comes with the 1.5 release.

Updated to BlogEngine 1.4.5

A new BE version, means sql scripting time for MS SQL 2000 users. For a full upgrade guide you should go to Al Nyveldt’s blog.

If you are creating a new blog or are upgrading from 1.3.x, just use the correct script for you.

MSSQL2000_Setup1.4.5.0.sql (24.91 kb)

MSSQL2000_UpgradeTo1.4.5.0From1.3.x.sql (10.07 kb)

If you are currently using 1.4.0 there’s some more work you’ll need to do. In this new version the column ‘Settings’ in the table ‘DataStoreSettings’ has changed from binary datatype to varchar, the corresponding change on MS SQL 2000 means moving from the image datatype to ntext. This is not possible / allowed by the server. The easiest thing you can do is to take note of your settings under the extensions tab in the administration control panel and delete all rows from the table ‘DataStoreSettings’. Every extension will populate the table again with data the first time they get loaded with the new BE version, you can then configure the extensions again with the settings you want. It’s quite possible that you are still using the default settings of your extensions, like me, then you don’t need to worry about the old settings, just clear the table of its entries.

If you’ve used the script from my earlier post, when I upgraded from 1.3 to 1.4, there was one insert statement missing from the script. The insert statement added the widget bar with its default configuration. Since it was missing then and we are deleting all entries from the ‘DataStoreSettings’ I’ve included the insert statement, the default script that ships with BE 1.4.5 has an update statement in place for that entry in the DB.

MSSQL2000_UpgradeTo1.4.5.0From1.4.0.0.sql (3.20 kb)

Finally, if you are running SQL Membership and Role provider and are upgrading from an earlier version don’t forget to check the applicationName of the providers, in 1.4 this changed from BlogEngine.Net to BlogEngine. What you need to change is described in my earlier post.

Blogging tools

Since there’s no code highlighter that works for me in Blogengine.Net I use this site. It pretty much supports any language, paste your code, select some options and you get your html to use.

To check my spelling I use this site, I’ve been using it for years now. Though I don’t need it when I’m using my Mac since it checks everything you write, regardless the application you are using.

Updated to BlogEngine 1.4

Yesterday a new version of BlogEngine was released, grab it here. For instructions on how to upgrade you should visit this site and since I’m not running under the default settings there was some extra work to do.

My host still runs MS SQL 2000 and the default BE script is for MS SQL 2005. I’ve edited both the upgrade and full install script so they run on the older version, you can download them here.

MSSQL 2000 Setup1.4.0.0.sql (22.15 kb)

MSSQL 2000 Upgrade1.4.0.0.sql (7.18 kb)

Also if you are running SQL Membership and SQL Role Provider don’t forget to change the default provider in your web.config to SQLMembershipProvider and SQLRoleProvider respectively, you should also change the applicationName in these providers to BlogEngine.NET. For some reason the developers changed this, which will lead to problems.

Alternatively, if you want to keep the new name BlogEngine instead of the old BlogEngine.NET you should edit the row in the aspnet_Applications table where the application name is BlogEngine.NET. Change the value of the ApplicationName to BlogEngine and the LoweredApplicationName to blogengine.

Updated BlogEngine.NET scripts

It was brought to my attention that the next release of BE will have some changes in the database scheme. I’ve compared the new script with the old one and the only changes, at the moment of this writing, are two new tables. Since the tables both use varbinary(max) they are not compatible with MS SQL 2000. I’ve changed the script to use image instead and briefly tested it. Seems to work like a charm. I’ve also looked at the code which retrieves the values and I don’t think there will be problems except hitting the maximum amount that can be stored in the image datatype, which is unlikely.

So if you check out the code from codeplex and want to use it with a MS SQL 2000 database use this file: BE_SQL2000_Dev.sql (15.07 kb) .

If you download the latest release of BE (1.3.*) you can still use the script I posted in a previous post and for your convenience I’ve added it here: BE_SQL2000_1.3.0.0.sql (14.23 kb) .

Ms Sql 2000 script for BlogEngine.NET

For those interested, I've edited the default script that comes with BlogEngine.NET (1.3.0.0) so that it runs on MS SQL Server 2000 instead of 2005. You can download it here (14,23 kb). If there are any issues, feel free to contact me.